Wednesday, February 14, 2007

The Unfathomable Gap

Sometimes it feels like life just has not stopped being in constant flux for as far as and as long as my memory could serve me since the beginning of the school year. So many events and people, whether expected or unexpected, have come into life, spinning my head to an unfathomable degree and throwing me off guard.

Looking ahead, there remain monumental amount of work and issues and ends to meet and take care of before the book of life turns into a fresh page in a familiar yet essentially another foreign land on the edge of the Pacific ring. What is the future going to entail I cannot say for sure; at this point I'm just going to focus on how to get through the transitional stage in between.

Today in lecture Prof. C reminded us of the anxious gap between the traditional and the imagined "modern" that Liang Qichao once attempted to tread over in his failed fictional attempt to draw a beautiful "New Future of China." Because the gap was too great and even the way of treading over seemed vastly opaque, Liang eventually abandoned his ambitious project and left behind a grand (though horrifically boring) beginning of a fictional writing not even anywhere close to being a futuristic blue print of China.

Not that I myself have any grandiose ideas on how to bridge this gap between the traditional and the modern in relations to the future of China, but the anecdote of Liang somehow made me think of my own life at the moment - in flux, in transition, in searching for a direction to tread over this seemingly vast and unknown "gap" in between the "now" and, hopefully, "near future."

"Faith" is becoming monumental in the picture. 信念吧,必須要一些,besides the everlasting grip on 信仰。

梅ちゃん at 8:13:00 AM

0comments

0 Comments

Post a Comment