Monday, September 25, 2006

The Boss

I think one of the most gratifying thing about teaching is - you get to be THE BOSS in class and have full control over what you'd like to do with the students.

If you know what you're doing, that is.

My head TF said he was super nervous before his very first section at Harvard. Come to think of it, maybe I should be a bit more nervous. Maybe I'm just trying to 說大話 at this point, or maybe I will 死的很慘 tomorrow (gosh, what's up with my super-duper Chinglish tonight?!), but I really am excited about teaching and meeting my students.

I love that sense of youthfulness mixed with a glow of anticipation as well as hidden nervousness in new students. "If you are nervous, they become more nervous than you," as people say. So I should just go in and have a good time so that my students can have a good time tomorrow as well?

It's been 3 years since I last stepped into a classroom and claim to be the boss. Oh all those Saturday early morning classes starting at 9 am (and the long sighs over the inability to sleep in during the night before) and the hectic commute starting at 8:30 am ... How I miss those days in retrospect.

At least I won't get questions like "how old are you, Ms. Shaw" or "Are you half or married? ... Why do you have an American last name?" this time.

梅ちゃん at 4:04:00 PM

0comments

0 Comments

Post a Comment